Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Preparing for Preschool

Monkey will be 3 in May. Three years old. Wow...

You know the saying? The days are long, but the years are short? All too true.

I've been lucky enough to be home with Monkey since he was born. I've been there to witness his first smile, first laugh, first food, first tooth, first word... I've kissed all the little boo boos and bonks. I've played countless hours of trains, cars, and blocks. I've read hundreds of stories out loud.

I've seen my son grow into an awesome little person. He talks proficiently and is quite articulate. He knows his numbers up to 20 and the alphabet all the way through. He knows his shapes and colors. He can throw a ball better and farther than some adults. He has a sense of humor and a sense of compassion. He understands more than I would have thought possible for a 2 year old.

I think I've done a pretty good job at my job of being a mother. But, now it's time for the next step.

Preschool. Wow...

He'll learn to follow directions, share, and make new friends. He'll learn to listen to a teacher, take turns, and be patient. He'll learn how to write his name, color within the lines, and cut with scissors. He'll bring home art projects and eagerly tell me about his day.

We've been touring preschools this week to see where he will best fit in come September. There is a lot to take into consideration - Two days or three days? Half days or full days? Church school or private school? Montessori or Piaget? Of course, from Monkey's perspective, he just wants a fun playground with lots of balls.

I'm excited for him to experience the next step of his little life. I want him to go to school and learn all these things. I know he's ready. And, believe it or not, I'm ready too.


2 comments:

  1. Lucas LOVES preschool and I know M. will too! It's a big step, but so much fun.

    Also, we chose the Montessori system for him, but there are lots of different ways to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like we're going with a play-based program near our house. I'm really excited for M - I just can't believe he's ready for school!

      Delete