Tuesday, April 24, 2012

One of Those Days

It's been one of those days.

It began at 5:45 a.m.

No, wait, 4:00 a.m.

Wait, no, 3:30 a.m.

Oh, hell, I suppose it really began at 12:30 a.m.

But I didn't actually go turn on the coffee maker until 5:45.

Both boys have colds. Monkey's started on Saturday night. He went to bed like usual, then was up every 45 minutes crying for seemingly no reason. I knew something was going on, but he didn't have a temperature and he wasn't throwing up or having to use the bathroom. He just kept waking up crying.

The next morning he woke up with a full-fledged cold - runny nose, watery eyes, projectile sneezes, and a lousy attitude.

I tried to keep him from touching all of the baby's things, but, really, who was I kidding?

I decided to lay low on Monday. No music class, no grocery store, no trip to Target. We just hung out around the house. I did some laundry. Monkey got a great nap. He seemed a little better. Budsy was doing fine.

Until 12:30 a.m.

Before I even picked up the baby, I could hear him snorting and sniffling. As he tried to eat, I could hear his little nose wheezing. Every few seconds he would pull off, whimper a bit, and then try again. Poor guy.

At 3:30, he was worse. Even by the tiny changing table nightlight, I could see he had a runny nose. I tried to suction it, but that really pissed him off. After that, he never really went back to sleep. Not deep, restful, sleep. And neither did I.

So, at 5:45 a.m., I stumbled downstairs and turned on the coffee maker. I knew I wouldn't be going back to sleep, no matter how much I wanted to or needed to. Everything felt like it went downhill from there.

Throughout the day, Budsy slept for a grand total of 90 minutes, split into 3 very short naps. He flipped out every time I tried to wipe his nose and by 3:00 in the afternoon, he was so clingy I couldn't put him down for more than a couple of minutes. Monkey had multiple breakdowns, mostly because I was paying so much attention to the baby. I was tired, cranky, short-tempered, and felt totally out of it. I felt like I accomplished nothing today, even though I had a long list of things to do.

By the time my husband got home, I was done. I needed to get out of the house. I needed a break. I needed to be alone. Where did I end up? At Toys R Us, buying stuff for the kids. Oh well - at least I was by myself for a bit.

And now, after a 17 hour day, I'm ready for bed.

Oh, wait, there's the baby.

Like I said - it's been one of the those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment